When Lagos grew and became an important port city in the 15th century, it needed to defend itself against pirates and invaders. It was protected by the walls that surrounded it, but it needed fortresses to guard the entrance to the port. One of them was destroyed in the earthquake of 1755, but this one, built between 1680 and 1690, survives.
It stands across from the castle, which was home to the governors of Algarve. It had a typical moat and a drawbridge, but also a small chapel (should divine intervention be necessary). The chapel, dedicated to St. Barbara, preserves the 17th-century tiles, and can be seen on a tour of the fort’s interior. The other sections have exhibits (permanent and temporary) related to the monument’s and the city’s histories. Everything is well preserved, as it was restored in the mid- and late-20th century.
A ramp leads to a terrace, which offers a view of the port and neighboring beaches (Meia Praia and Praia da Batata).
Cais da Solaria
10am-1pm, 2pm-6pm; It's closed on Mondays
€2.00 (or €6 for a combined ticket that includes the Slave Market and the Lagos Museum; €4 for the combined ticket to include the Slave Museum or the Lagos Museum; €1 for visitors between the ages of 12 and 18 or over 65)